Friday, September 27, 2013

DIY High-Waisted Shorts

So, obviously, these are really in right now. And even if people think they are ugly, they accentuate your waist, so you I think should take advantage of the style. :) 

Things you'll need:


  • (once again) a hot glue gun! If you want your shorts to be washer/dryer-proof, use fabric glue, FYI.
    • I got an adorable damask print one from Michael's on sale, and, needless to say, I'm very excited. :) 
  • Scissors
  • Tweezers
  • A pair of high-waisted denim shorts or jeans. I got mine from Goodwill! They were already shorts.

  • I chose to lace-ify a pocket of my shorts, so I chose this $1 crochet lace from Jo-Ann Fabrics! 





Steps: 
  1. Decide and cut the length of your shorts! I put them on and off back and forth to find the right length for me... I knew I didn't want booty shorts and I wanted them a little longer in front, so I had to be particular. (Sorry, I forgot to do a before and after shot!)
  2. As you can see above (oops!), I decided to add a few small cuts to mine - nothing extreme, just a for a little attitude. You might be wondering, how do I cut mine so so the white strips are intact? WELL, I can show you! I've seen a lot of variations, but this just worked best for me... The only thing you really need to know is that there are two threads for jeans: horizontal white ones and vertical blue ones.
    • First, you cut your slits, obv. I made three: one large, two smaller ones above and below the main slit.
    • Turn your shorts inside out.
    • Take tweezers and pull the white horizontal strings out from the weaving with the vertical blue threads.
    • Do this until they are thick enough to your liking. Note: you won't be able to get HUGE white thread slits.
    • And that's it! Here are two pictures, one with the jeans inside out, one right way. 

  3. For some of you, your shorts may be done. I wanted to add a little flare, so I decided to add lace.
    1. Unroll the lace and line it up where you want it.
    2. Cut it! I cut mine a little longer for some error margin.
    3. Then, basically just glue sections from the side hem of the shorts to the pockets (because no one will see the pockets.
    4. I repeated steps 1-3 for the second strip of lace. 
And VOILA! 
My high-waisted shorts. :) 

The shorts were about $4, and the lace was $1. Total: $5! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment