Friday, October 11, 2013

How to: Modge-Podge Wooden Letter!

So, I don't have as many pictures for this project (only God knows where they all went), but it's pretty simple! :) 

Once I discovered Modge-Podge I kind of went crazy, but this is still one of my favorite DIYs. I'm also super lazy, so it helped that I didn't have to print out the paint to accomplish a chic and clean look. 

Here is the finished project in advance:



Things you'll need:

  • A wooden letter 
    • I chose a white one because my colors were white and pink, and then I wouldn't have to wait!
  • Your favorite scrapbook paper! 
    • I'm going through this elegant yet shabby chic phase right now, so I chose this light damask print
  • Modge-podge
    • mine is matte finish, but you can chose whether you want glossy, etc.
    • If you don't have this on hand, you can always mix glue and water, though I've found this to sometimes give paper a funky texture if there's too much water.
  • Exacto knife/scissors
  • Pencil
  • Paint brush
  • Any additional embellishments
    • I found peel-n-stick swirly pearls that I couldn't go without

Steps:

  1. Face your scrapbook paper pattern-down on a flat, hard surface, and center your letter (face down) on it.
    • I did it this way so I wouldn't get extra pencil markings on the "nice side" of the paper :)
  2. Trace your letter on the paper (duh)
  3. Now, you can either slice the shape out with an exacto knife, or cut with scissors. 
    • Mine wasn't too swirly and didn't have tough edges, so I just used scissors.
  4. Line the paper up with your letter to make sure it fits!
  5. Apply the modge-podge liberally to the letter (with the paint brush obviously)
  6. Apply the paper to the letter and smooth out any bubbles or creases
    • I didn't have any so it shouldn't be a problem :)
    • You'll want to let it dry for about 20 minutes before you apply a coat of modge-podge
    • After it was dry, I sanded down some corners of the letter + paper for a distressed look, as well as to cover up some boo-boos with my cutting
  7. Apply coat(s) of modge podge over entire letter and scrapbook paper
  8. Let it dry! 
    • I left mine overnight

And presto! If you want to add more, I recommend bows, ribbons, scrapbook page embellishments, etc. 

The letter was about $3-4, the scrapbook paper $0.40, and the pearl embellishments $3! :)

I currently have it hung with command strips in my room. I added a ribbon to the side for a draping look... I just love how such a cheap, simple project can create fun yet sophisticated decor! My room feels a lot more personalized! Which is nice when you're away at college. :)

1 comment:

  1. love this! thank you for the tutorial! can't wait to try it--looks so simple!! and i love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete