Friday, August 16, 2013

DIY Projects! - Earring Holder

Half the reason I've been "moved" to create this blog is to show off my completed Pinterest projects! I know some Pinterest projects don't turn out too well, so I've taken it upon myself to test out a number of them & give step-by-step instructions on how I made & personalized mine. :) 

My first endeavor I'm going to share with you is a project that actually turned out quite well... it was copied from this website: http://how-do-it.info/DIY_Earring_Holder/


I fell in love with the exact aluminum sheeting that was shown in the picture, and also with a Michael's frame I found, so it turned out to be a little more pricey than planned. Still so worth it! It's something I can grow with, and it's absolutely gorgeous. :) 


Things you'll need:

Steps:
  1. I got the sheet metal cut by Ace Hardware, but you can cut it yourself with metal clippers or a heavy duty paper cutter. I measured out a little under 11" x 14" & framed the sheet with masking tape to show where to cut. 
  2. Take the glass and back out of the frame, then push in the sheet metal.
  3. I originally tried to put hot glue down on the inside edges of the frame, but it dried to quickly and I had to use my hair dryer and a knife to get it off! Instead, just pop the sheet in the frame & put drops of glue in the corners & on the edges OVER the metal. 
  4. Press down the metal tabs (that usually hold the backing and glass in) for extra support. 
And voilĂ !

The frame was about $20 with the sale, and then aluminum sheet metal was almost $20 with tax, so the total was around $40. I've seen $60 dollar jewelry holders before though, so I didn't feel too guilty since I wanted it so badly anyway! Finished project in action: 


These were specifically for my dangling earrings. :) I made another holder for posts! I'll upload that one next. 

1 comment: